Thursday, July 22, 2004

My dear Murphy

Is the whole purpose of my life just to prove your law right?

I know I am not alone in this group........I know lots of people whose life, if written down, would be an excellent compilation of 'All time favourite Murphy's Laws'. But I didn't know I am one of the chosen one too! It's ok if.....

- The chance of the bread falling with the buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.

- Everything takes longer than I think.

- All the good ones are taken. (yeah!)

- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

- A failure will not appear till a unit has passed final inspection. (Aha!)

- Any instrument when dropped will roll into the least accessible corner. (I discovered this while playing TT)

- Success occurs when noone is looking, failure occurs when the client is watching. (Don't we all know that!)

- A library book will always be checked out when you want to get it.

- No matter who gets elected, the Government always gets in!

- Your current boss is the worst you've ever had until the next one. (you bet, but Vineet was an exception on this. )

- The television show that you watched once and loved will be discontinued :(

- If you watch a TV show only twice during the season, the second time will be a repeat of the first.

- If someone giving directions says at any time, "You cant miss it!", be assured that you will.

- The referee will always be looking the other way when you score.

- After a flawless demonstration, you will trip on your way back to your seat.

- The early bird suffers from insomnia.

- Your nose always itches when your hands are tied.

- You cannot stop the ongoing love affair between the sambar and a pure white salwar.

But why oh why does a brand new Toshiba laptop have to develop a problem in its TFT?! and that too mine!

:(

I come to my room all excited to see how many comments are there in my blog and to see how many spams do I have and what do I get? Just a wheatish halo in an otherwise dark cold screen on my brand new laptop screen! I tried all the tips and tricks I knew, but the TFT just wouldnt listen. I have a laptop that works, that plays music, that does whatever I say, but just wouldnt show me anything (on the screen)!

"Hey are the curtains down or is someone changing in there? "

"Is it the laptop or is it just me?! "

(Like in one Friends episode the power goes off and poor Joey thinks that he went blind!)

Broken hearted I went for the last resort........the user manual! but again Murphy rules! My user manual is in Arabic....and just like any other Arabic book, it starts from the last page! Just my lucky day.

(Reminds me of a joke told by Sukumama, one of my fav uncles in my family. He told me this when I was around 10 years old. It goes like this......... .............

A very famous advertising company in India has to design an ad foran Arabic Hair Oil company. The Oil company has reached a plateau in terms of their and they are counting on this ad to give them the well needed push. The advertising company starts off......does market research on some people who have been to 'gelf'.......employs brilliant strategic thinkers to come up with a campaign idea.......employs some very successful creative artists to design the ad. Finally the ad is ready and is to be released all over 'gelf' on a very important day. They order hoardings all over the place.....Full page ads on all newspapers...... ...centerfolds and cover ads on all magazines....the works. The Arabic firm director patiently waits for the newspaper on the D-Day. And turns a distinct red (read ANGRY) when he sees the ad in the paper.
The advertising company believed in getting the idea across through pictures ratherthan words. There were just three small pictures arranged left to right

1. A fully tonsured head.

2. The person with the 'takla' head holding a bottle of the Hair Oil.

3. The same person with a mane that would put Rapunzel to shame.

The advertising agency closed down the same day as the Hair Oil company.
)

Cut!!!!

Back to my sob story........Gosh! how can this happen to me! Me the perfectionist, who takes care of everything.....

.....the person who can almost pass on for another Monica (of Friends fame)

....the person who underlines the important parts of the text ONLY with green pens

......the person who has even tagged the big green book full of boring Case studies with the all the chapter titles because the stupid book didnt have page numbers (and has become the laughing stock of the class!)

.....the person who cleans her comb every week with a special soapy solution at the right temperature

.....the person who just can't stand it when she sees a desktop cluttered with a thousand items, however important they may be

.....the person who sets a calendar event to be reminded for all the birthdays she doesn't want to miss and another event to remind herself to get the Kinetic serviced!

.....the person who treats her laptop just like a part of herself! How can this happento her! sob sob!

I hope there is no Murphy's law that says that 'If one is stupid enough to sit and write a blog at 4am and have a 20 page Case analysis to be done for the day, the Case will never get done!'

Geeeeez.............I better hit the books!

Let me try to prove this Murphy fellow wrong for once.

(I did :D)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

omigosh!!! some perfectionist you are!
No use saying but Mr Murphy was one intelligent dude who had the incision of a surgeon's scalpel combined with the Morpheus monies on the matrix (remember the chosen one???)
So, were you finally able to finish the case??? I had to make do with noting down the discussions in the class, filling up two sides of a sheet with that and submit the same as my 'case notes'...

Anonymous said...

omigosh!!! some perfectionist you are!
No use saying but Mr Murphy was one intelligent dude who had the incision of a surgeon's scalpel combined with the Morpheus monies on the matrix (remember the chosen one???)
So, were you finally able to finish the case??? I had to make do with noting down the discussions in the class, filling up two sides of a sheet with that and submit the same as my 'case notes'...
--Utkarsh
http://modec.blogdrive.com

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Chin up ! I'm sure that u'll be able 2 get the laptop fixed soon.

I'm glad 2 know there is sbdy else in this world who is obsessed about those teenie weenie things in life and has 'the one right way' to do everything!

I keep getting ribbed about stuff like this by everybody! I am a perfectionist too, probably one of the reasons why i procrastinate anything i am not too good at ;-)

R.