Monday, December 20, 2004

Am a sucker ........

…………………..for attention given to details.

I tend to follow it religiously….......or at least I think I do…..so when I see somebody doing the same thing it gives me immense pleasure to know that there is someone who thinks the same way :)

It can be as small as

- a phone call before an appointment letting one know that the person is going to be 2 minutes late. (Very few people would make a call for this, thinking that a 2-min delay is NOT a delay)

- Service at Laundromat; they continuing to use a particular brand of detergent because you once remarked that your clothes smell like heaven after one of those washes. Its all the more to be appreciated since they have changed their regular detergent, but they keep buying the old brand of detergent just for that ONE customer

- Someone taking time to appreciate small things in life; a second visit to the tailor just to let him know that he had stitched that salwar perfectly. Couldn’t believe the joy in his face when I walked into Playboy (it’s a tailoring shop in Trichur) and told him that I loved the way he stitched my salwars

- Covering books that you love with transparent sheets to make sure that it looks and remains as good as new – saw Anju doing this several years back and anjooos, have I ever told you what that small gesture spoke to me about you?


- Planning out a fabulous bday party right under the concerned person’s nose, but then making it the most memorable ever giving all possible to attention to detail. Hats off to Pragya and PKT for this one. I still cant beleive you guys were able to pull it off.

- Remembering things; This one goes off to Ramki, a good friend (mentor?) who remembered the day I was supposed to join K and dedicated a small post for me. Well Ramki, I assumed the 'she' in that post was me, if it's not please dont tell me and break my heart.

- My chithi who takes whatever pain to get the special cheeda from palghat that I just love. Lali chithi ALWAYS makes sure that she brings a packet of those whenever she vists us.

- Wash basins set at different levels at Vimala Home for the handicapped rather than just providing a stool and lots of other small small conveniences without compromising on anything, so that each of the speical kid wouldn’t have to take any extra effort to go about their daily chores.

You might feel that some of these are mere formalities in life or that they are just a way of showing that you care about someone or their time or its just some ways to delight a customer by being thoughtful; but whatever it is, it floors me every time :)

Latest one was what I saw at the entrance of Vadkkunnathan temple today morning.
In most parts of India there is this custom of washing one’s feet before entering places of worship. But this is not very prevalent in South India.
Today before I could make my first step into the Vadakkunathan temple, I felt small ripples of water slowly caressing my feet. My first thought was to check if any elephants were around ;)
When I looked down what I saw simply blew me away. There was a small pipe just beneath the first step and there were several small holes made in that pipe in such a way that it let out small streams of water that would wash the devotees' legs before they entered the temple. Usually a small tap is provided for this purpose near the entrance. But this was a VERY ingenious idea.

Whoever thought about this deserves a pat on their back. It made me start a day with a renewed belief in the humankind and of course a big smile on my face :)

4 comments:

Jam said...

Hey there,
Add another one to your list. The way Amma always makes dosas for me, crisp, and hot, just the way I like it !!! But then oops, you don't know Amma and the way she makes dosas do you?? Anyways, another awesome post as usual, living up to your reputation for memorable posts.
Cheers..........Jam

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Ofcourse!!!

For me its the Sambar and Morukoottan made by my amma! Something which even I couldnt reproduce with the exact recipe. There seems to be some magic ingredient in all amma's dishes. Isnt it? :)

Jam said...

I guess that's why I will always remain Amma's "Pattu". As regards the Moorkootan and the Sambar, no one makes it quite like Amma does!!! But then, I am more than willing to taste your Amma's version as well!!!

Cheers.........Jam

Jam said...

I guess that's why I will always remain Amma's "Pattu". As regards the Moorkootan and the Sambar, no one makes it quite like Amma does!!! But then, I am more than willing to taste your Amma's version as well!!!

Cheers.........Jam