Sunday, December 12, 2004

Babies and Wives

"Babies are such a nice way to start people" :)

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for"

"Father asked us what was God's noblest work. Anna said men, but I said babies. Men are often bad, but babies never are."

"My friend has a baby. I'm recording all the noises he makes so later I can ask him what he meant."

"There is one order of beauty which seems made to turn heads. It is a beauty like that of kittens, or very small downy ducks making gentle rippling noises with their soft bills, or babies just beginning to toddle."

"Ten fingers, Ten toes She's laughter and teardrops So small and brand new And amazingly angelic She's sent to bless you She's one special Baby The best of life's treasure And will grant and bless you Many hours of great pleasure."

"Take a sprinkling of fairy dust, An angels single feather, Also a dash of love and care, Then mix them both together. Add a sentiment or two, A thoughtful wish or line, A touch of stardust, a sunshine ray, Its a recipe, for a Baby Girl truly fine."


And a baby girl it is!!!!!!


Well, my dear buddy, Mariya gave birth to a darling angel - a baby girl. So I have reasons to celebrate and to be happy. Only that though I am very near to the place where she is now, I'll have to wait for 6 more days to have a glimpse of that darling. Now I know what is the first thing I'll do after reaching home. No prizes for guessing that. :)


Suddenly I have this very strong urge to get settled and have babies!

Yeah really!!!

Must be the maternal instinct inside me knocking desperately, since it can clearly see that I have no intentions of settling down atleast in the next few years. Had this same urge a year back while I was in Wipro but then the circumstances were totally different. memories...................

I was on my usual post-lunch walk around the Wipro campus.....still remember the shocked expression on my friend's face when I told him that I felt like resigning from the job at that very instant and having a baby :)
:D
That would have been the last thing anyone would have expected to hear from a colleague friend!

This reminds me of a small discussion I had a chance to hear recently. Topic was what kind of a girl would a typical IIM grad like to marry - personal preferences of some of my very good friends. Got two entirely contrasting fields of thought.

Mr. X wanted an intelligent girl with whom he can talk of anything under the sun. ( I thought this would be an implicit criteria, but seems it isnt!).

But surprisingly Mr. Y would be happy with a simple and plain girl, with whom he has no intentions of discussing any 'work related topics' or say 'general economics' or something like that.

Agreed.

But what if you wanted to discuss something badly and find out that you end up getting irritated trying to just explain the situation to that person. What would you do?
Would your wavelenghts match? Wont you get bored of such a person? Wont you end up going to other people to talk to? Does the person's role justify the term 'life partner'? Will u be really really happy? Or will you be missing something deep inside? Would you look at Mr. and Mrs. X at a later point and feel a teeny weeny sense of regret? Wont you run out of topics to talk since you have only limited choices?
On a lighter note, what if your children get your looks and your wife's smartness?
You would have ugly kids for sure :P

This statement by Mr. Y was a revelation to me. More so because it shook the image I had about Mr. Y. I had a pre-conceived notion that IIM pass-outs would be more like Mr. X, wanting a smart life-partner. Looks like my assumption was wrong. But I wonder how many think like Mr. Y.

I had heard similar comments from some of my supposedly 'smart' friends at Wipro. Most of them wanted a 'housewife' or a typical native girl, who would take care of them and their kids 24x7, would cook and clean and wash, and wont complain much and wont ask too many questions and would say 'Yes' to almost anything hubby desires. It surprised me to hear such statements, but then I thought they were kind of 'country' people or maybe even MCPs and that nothing more can be expected from them.

But this Mr. Y incident really surprised me. Still cant think of a logical reason why Mr. Y thinks this is the best decision.
Is it the background of the person or is it parent's influence or some sour past experience or a scary feeling about having to put up with a 'smart wife' or is it an ego thing or is it just pure MCPism????
Or am I thinking at a totally different level and mistook what Mr. Y had intended to say?

I dont want to jump any conclusions here, but the mystery still remains.

Anyways I just found one more reason to like Biharis, thanks to Mr. X :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the udnerlying premise in the blog that
Plain & Simple Girl = Unintelligent & Naive ??....which is a very snobbish logical stretching...

suhas
http://emperorprometheus.rediffblogs.com/

Girl With Big Eyes said...

hmmm

please dont read too much between the lines
:)

Anonymous said...

I stopped being surprised by such comments quite some time back. You should take a poll, I bet you'd be shocked by how many men don't want smart wives. Guess they dont want rivals.
Better still, ask them some qs about morality and fidelity in marriage. They are such hypocrites (most of them anyways),its hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Count in another Bihari who would rather go in for an intelligent girl than a plain and simple one (never mind the hidden meanings)

Nitai

Anonymous said...

This is so funny. Obviously some people here have not heard of snobs (Wanted grooms with IIT-IIM background ONLY) and gold diggers (Wanted grooms with green card). I stopped getting into arguments with the women's lib movement long back but the hypocrisy in the comment made at 9:04 pm was shocking.

Postscript1: Who says plain and simple gals can't be intelligent/smart ? Ever seen the movie Roja ?

Postscript2: For the author - Bernard Shaw's funny anecdote sure became very non funny in the context in which you used it.

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Now anons have started a war in my blog!!!!!!

:)

Anonymous said...

a simple,plain,innocent,homely gal is wat i want.n watever doubts i had were quiclky dispelled by the oh-so-vampish gals here at IIM Cal.n gimmea break , i dont wanna discuss economics wid my wife of all thinz !!

Abhinav
First Year
IIM Calcutta

www.mydayzwithmyself.blogspot.com

Girl With Big Eyes said...

errrrr abhinav, the dictionary meaning of 'homely' seems to be "Lacking in physical beauty or proportion"I am sure you dint mean that.

Be careful what you wish for. Santa might be listening this Christmas

:)

Anonymous said...

Get your spelling right. 'Atleast' is for example, two words.

yesbob said...

jeez kids, stop fighting.
btw, that line "recording all the noises he makes" is from stephen wright, rite ?
how do u like 'lazarus long' quotes ?

yesbob said...

here

Clint Millin said...

Mmm... so what?