Monday, May 09, 2005

18 degrees of frustration

I hate the autowallahs in Delhi. They think nothing of charging 50rs for even a minimum distance ride. They have perfected a cartel so that finally consumers like me who have no other choice are forced to shell out the dough after an unsuccessful attempt at a bargain.
What autos are to other places, human tongas are to Delhi.


BPO employees are hep. Some are fat. Some are really really fat. Some are hot. Some are super hot. Most of them are dressed to kill. I am sure everyday they take more time preening themselves than reading the newspaper.

A cabmate of mine wears Rudraksha beaded necklaces to work for the guru effect. My uncle wears it cause he is afraid to sleep alone and believes that the rudraksha will keep the evil spirits away.

A handshake is a universal token of friendliness here. Be it in office, or at home or in the street when two cab drivers greet each other. Something that may not be done even in offices back in Trichur. North-South effect?

Idlis and Vadas are to northies what Navaratn Kurma and Mutter Paneer are to southies. People celebrate lunch time here when south indian breakfast items are served for lunch.
Almost staple food of one part of the country becomes exotic at the other end.

Cinna stix with apple sauce from Domino´s rocks.

My appetite for junk food has expanded these days. So has my midriff.

It feels so good when every day I go back home to two very naughty and adorable kids who call me didi in their own special inimitable way.

My project and I are not on talking terms anymore.

I love the mornings and hate the evenings in office. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I try to work in the evenings?

Mother of all surprises - the vending machine in my office serves the best tea I have ever tasted. I guess someone is trying hard to convert a coffee person to a tea person eh?

I hate it when paychecks don’t arrive in time. Do these people how much an auto ride costs these days?

My office is super cooled. It has to be 18 degrees, not a degree more not a degree less (cause that is the minimum setting). Employees who try to turn it up get a rude spanking that the server has to be kept at 18 degrees, otherwise it may not work at its optimum performance level.
Okie. But how about my performance level? What if I die not because of the meningitis epidemic in Delhi but because of the gelid conditions in the office? What about the shock my body experiences every time I walk out from an 18degrees room to a 40degrees atmosphere?
The admin guy doesn’t care.
Bottom line - I am dispensable. The server is not.

A 1 foot diameter masala dosa and sweet salt lime juice can be a deadly combination.

A puny looking guy has set up a small makeshift shop just outside my office. He calls it the 'Tyre Pencher shop'.

Punchline of the day - No But, sirf Jatt! (courtesy Sunny Sardar Deol.)
Song of the day - Teri to by Bombay rockers. (K junta - we have to have this song in our next K party.)
Book of the day – Who says elephants can’t dance by Louis Gerstner, Jr.

8 comments:

Abhi said...

someone teach thermodynamics to these E&Y guys.i swear thers no compressor in the ACs at my office.i feeel cooler wen i get outta here after work.dont they hav to protect teh servers.

Chez said...

Hi,

First things first. Nice blog.
Comment... At least its hot summer for u.. we guys get chilled even inside our rooms when the temp is just around 14 degrees even at the start of the winter here in Aus.

neeta said...

Ah GWBE, my office is freezing too. We actually have blocked some of the vents and slyly open a window to let some heat in. But to be honest, it doesn't help much! And it doesn't help that its extremely humid and hot outside!
I think the recent slow responses of my mind can be safely attributed to the trauma of temperature extremes that my body is subjected to!

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Vagabond,
My hearty condolences. It must be their cost cutting measure.

Anand,
Australia! Well, we don't have options to configure the nature's thermostat right?

and Thanks :)

Neeta,
No opena-ble windows here :(

Anonymous said...

well another awesome post GWBEs way,luckily i had downloaded a dictionary software , since me not gud in understanding some of your words like hep ,preening,meningitis etc but when i entered the word JATT it said try GATT JAT nyways thanks to word web !!!!
and yes if u really feel u will die to that temp phase change 18 to 40 , u can go for a sodium dosed insulating suit , which has been tested successfully to handle a temp phase change of 40 degrees + and - / vice-versa,keeping a constant humidity level , lemme know okkk, :)

bachelor ......

Anonymous said...

well another awesome post GWBEs way,luckily i had downloaded a dictionary software , since me not gud in understanding some of your words like hep ,preening,meningitis etc but when i entered the word JATT it said try GATT JAT nyways thanks to word web !!!!
and yes if u really feel u will die to that temp phase change 18 to 40 , u can go for a sodium dosed insulating suit , which has been tested successfully to handle a temp phase change of 40 degrees + and - / vice-versa,keeping a constant humidity level , lemme know okkk, :)

bachelor ......

Silent Eloquence said...

Hi there,

nice post! and seems like a cool blog too(am still reading).

btw, i linked to this post and dint know how to do a trackback here and hence this comment.

Cheers.

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Welcome Surya!

loved your blog too.

Btw we have a St. Mary's Trichur connection :)