Thursday, August 11, 2005

Judo Strategy

Here’s a good LBS article on Judo Strategy – a set of techniques that would help companies put bigger and stronger opponents on the mat. The article is written in a very charming way – drawing parallels between Judo wrestling and intelligent competitive strategies - and makes for a very interesting read.

Something that I found really interesting was the strategy ‘Push when pulled and pull when pushed’. According to this technique, rather than oppose the rival strength to strength – which may be plain stupid cause you are a smaller player, judo practitioners learn to conserve their resources and maintain their balance by first giving way. Then they use their opponent’s momentum to help bring them down. Makes a lot of sense.

Also the example of Drypers using Judo strategy on P&G is downright commonsensical but finally leaves P&G cursing their own move. I would say Drypers used more of a cheeky strategy than a Judo strategy :)


I got hold of this article while googling for stuff on Strategy during my Summer internship days in Delhi. I had this habit of carrying articles/books to read during the forty minutes drive from Delhi to Noida. So one of those days I was carrying a printout of this article on Judo Strategy and was trying to figure out whether I could use this in my project.

My uncle, who I was staying with, saw this article and burst into laughter and started saying things like ‘You can’t learn swimming by reading a manual’.

He felt that due to the rape scare in Delhi, I was totally freaked out (which I was!) and was trying to learn Judo for self defence by reading a Judo manual! All he saw was the title of the article which was “Judo Strategy : 10 Techniques for Beating a Stronger Opponent” :)

5 comments:

yesbob said...

NEAT !!!

chaos said...

theoreticlly makes sense...
but in practice... if I let go to the competition (or the competitor) ... I'll be out (thrown out) of the game!

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Hey Chaos,

Read it again. The doc doesn't tell you to let go of the competition!

Shanks_P said...

hmmm
Nice one...
But one or two techniques in judo can be learnt from pictures and practice will make u perfect.
One which teachs how to handle a fellow who snathes u by collar or u r neck is pretty easy and useful ....
http://www.judoinfo.com/
When free enoguh learn ..might be useful at time :D

Anonymous said...

awesome. again.
-k-