Tuesday, January 03, 2006

At New Year's......

Someone rightly said...

To see a young couple loving each other is no wonder,
But to see an old couple loving each other is the best sight of all.


How true!

I was at this New Year's Eve party at Taj Residency, Calicut and the party hall was filled with mostly families along with 2-3 school-going-aged kids, a group of socialite ladies, a whacky alumni group of a mumbai college, a couple of couples not-yet-wed and some just-wed and of course some stags who just sit and stare at the couples as if that's their birthright.

The hostess was trying her best to get the people to the dance floor. And guess which was the first pair that made the move?

A couple with silver hair. A couple whose combined age would be not less than 150. Yup, a really really old couple.

They could have been just another old couple you would usually see going for small strolls or just sitting around in the park watching their grandchildren play hide and seek and take for granted.

But this couple was special. The old man was the first one on the dance floor with his wife in his arms. They started dancing with each other as if the new year's eve was their last night together. The way they were waltzing and salsa-ing and jiving and enjoying each other was a sight to behold.

I prayed. If I could be so much in love when I have lost all my teeth and have a mane full of silver hair and have a dozen grand children, I know I'd be the happiest woman on this planet.

My wish for the New Year! :)


Happy new year, people. Have a great year ahead.

11 comments:

anthony said...

Hey GWBE...Happy new year

rocksea said...

hmm.. that wud hav been a great thing to watch. wish i cud dance off like that after 50 more yrs or so.. :O

Praveen A said...

Very Very Happy New Year Priyechi.

LI said...

:-D , Wish I was also there in Taj Residency to see the couple you said , since I was there in Kozhikode for the New Year :-D , The post was nice to read

jaguu said...

:)

Question... Who did You dance with? ;) and who got the first kiss of the year? :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Priya:

Please let me know what advise
u give tp prepare for IIM's CAT
and tips to improve the performance,

Thanks in advance for any insights

Raghini said...

Nice post to read :-)
Happy New year and my best wishes for your prayer to come true!

Puru said...

I landed here by chance, but a nice discovery! Your blog is a great read.
Know whats the best part of the blog...The name of it...couldnt hold my mouse not to click on it
:-)
Great thinking...

Anonymous said...

What a blog ! I clicked on your blog link in one of your media cell mails (accidentally) and spent some 2 hrs on it before my term 2 midterms...Simply irresistable.. I dont get to read this often. But when I read this, I make sure I dont miss out on any of your earlier posts...Especially the nostalgic ones abt parents and family and good old days spent at native place...They are so true & realistic and you can relate every event to your family or life ... you have a great flair for writing...Just to quote a few

'You may be surrounded by a thousand people and yet feel lonely'

'Why does it have to be only 24 hours!!!'

But I often wonder how you get the time to do all this...I am one typical Bschooler as 'time manages me' and 'I dont manage time' as our BL prof says.

May you write blogs forever...

V Senthil (PGP09)

Anonymous said...

"But to see an old couple loving each other is the best sight of all"

well, i hope not the physical act of love-making. It's like the time when a naked old man hoped to suprise his old lady, and she responded "whatever it is u r wearing, it needs some ironing"

Anonymous said...

"I prayed. If I could be so much in love when I have lost all my teeth and have a mane full of silver hair and have a dozen grand children, I know I'd be the happiest woman on this planet".


I can give you a dozen children, make your hair grey and lose your teeth overnight ;-)