Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Tuesdays with Morrie

There is no way I would have bought this book myself. Referred by a friend, it came into my hands at the perfect time - when I had nothing else to do but read whatever came my way.

Tuesdays with Morrie, authored by Mitch Albom may not be one of the best well-written books around. But the insights it offers pretty much makes up for it. The book revolves around the conversations on Tuesdays between a student (Albom) and his slowly dying prof (Morrie). A true story, the book had me amazed at the courage of the dying man.

A part of the book that particularly moved me....


"I heard a nice little story the other day," Morrie says. He closes his eyes for a moment and I wait.

"Okay. The story is about a little wave, bobbing along in the ocean, having a grand old time. He's enjoying the wind and the fresh air - until he notices the other waves in front of him, crashing against the shore.

'My God, this is terrible,' the wave says. 'Look what's going to happen to me!'

Then along comes another wave. It sees the first wave looking grim, and it says to him, 'Why do you look so sad?'

The first wave says, 'You don't understand! We're going to crash! All of us waves are going to be nothing! Isn't it terrible?'

The second wave says, 'No, you don't understand. You're not a wave; you're part of the ocean.'"

7 comments:

dinu said...

I have read his "The Five People You Meet In Heaven". A man meets five people who either whose lives were affected by him or who affected his. This also can't be said to be a well written book. But, some of the chapters are thought provoking. Can find some gems like the one you mentioned..

Lost in trance... said...

iv been hearing too many things abt this book. hmmm..now will hafto read this one i guess :)

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Hey Dinu,
Good to see you back in here!

And ditto to LiT too. Do pick up the book. It's a nice short read.

:)

Abhi said...

wow.for once , i did a good thing , i bought the same book a couple of days back.and ur post was the perfect way to motivate me to start with it.mr.morrie ,here i come .

Anonymous said...

Lady,

Huh ? Huhhhhh ? Wave and ocean..why cant 'bestsellers' say things that can reach out to even simpletons like me..Btw, I personally thought the book was overly sentimental and unabashedly pandering to the lachrymal glands.. might as well have named it "I bet this will make u cry"

:-p

ps: If u're still on ur book-reading spree, read Murakami..Have a feeling u'll love it..

SNAP !! said...

I really adore the book....It was recommended to me by my ex. I also love the part in the book where Morrie talks about emotions,detachments,attachments and stuff....
Good blog here...:)

Anonymous said...

does this blog have to become morbid and sentimental??where r all those humorous posts which made this a fun blog to visit???