Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Overheard......

I don't really mind crowded flights. I secretly enjoy listening to my co-passengers discussing their holiday plans, what they had for dinner, their aunt who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and their cat's skin infection. I also get sadistic pleasure watching hapless moms and dads trying to pacify their wailing one year old who seems to have a secret plan of his own to force everyone on the flight to ask for earplugs.

I was on a flight to Zurich last Friday (more on that coming up) and as expected, the flight was full. The family sitting ahead of us was a mom-dad-3-kid group. The youngest would have been around four years old. I did not have to strain my ears too much to listen to their banter as they were clearly excited about their trip to Switzerland and were talking quite loudly about their skiing plans.

As the plane started moving on the tarmac ready for take-off, the four year old shouts above all the other noise and banter,
"Mommy, which country are we going to today?"
The mom mumbled something and stuck a lollipop into the kid's mouth.

Please note that the question was 'which country are we going to today' and not just 'which country are we going to!'.

Something tells me that the 4 year old's airmiles are definitely way higher than my bank balance!

Some people live to travel and I live to.....

Hmmm, that needs some thought!

8 comments:

Rinchen said...

Ha! Funny!!! That kid's been to more places that I have for sure :D :D :D

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Possibly :)

Mahesh Pillai said...

Add to that a 4 year old's flights of fancy. :-)

Roop Rai said...

:p eavesdropping! i do it all the time too when commuting. hey, it's as good as reading a book!! :D

ah today. that kid was me once. dad used to be posted in diff countries and he never came to india .. we had to travel to him. hated it. :/

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Forced travel even for vacation is not pleasant, right?

Anonymous said...

*in denial mode* Honestly, its no big deal. Most of Europe can be fitted into the size of India.. so its as good as saying 'Mommy, which state are we going to today?'

....Hmmm... ok.. who am i kidding? Yes, I am envious :-(

- J

Girl With Big Eyes said...

:) I felt the same way for the first 2 minutes. But then I realised it nothing is stopping me from doing it.

But yup, I am still jealous :)
When I was 4, the trips I've made are to the Trichur zoo and Trichur municipal children's park (without fail every Saturday evening) and the local vegetable market with my mom.

Goofy said...

I can't sigh enough!