Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What's life without some addictions....

Hereby I confess some of my recent addictions in my day to day life. They have started to play a big influence in my life especially when it comes to matters like 'how much time I get to sleep' and 'You want dinner, dear? Oh yeah, it’s only fruit and water in the dinner menu today'.


1. Brain Game in Facebook


It's currently one of the top 10 games in Facebook. It can be an ego basher or an ego-boaster depending on the type of person you are. I started playing this game a week back and haven’t stopped ever since. I stand #3 in terms of brain weight among my friends (I'm gonna beat you soon, AK!) and it looks as if I won't have peace until I get to the #1 slot. Yup, I am the one for whom it's an ego-basher.

I play it early morning even before my dose of coffee. And I would gladly barter 916 gold for good coffee! I’ll let you work that one out.


2. Wii Sports

I believed myself to be a strong protester of video games and looked down upon spending a small fortune on a gaming console. I changed my opinion faster than a politician when we bought Nintendo Wii a couple of months back. Well, marriage is all about sacrifices and permission to welcome a gaming console into our home was the big sacrifice I made to save my marriage.

And now, I am hooked for good. Wii related RSI is not too distant in the future for me. For the uninitiated, Wii games are played not by pushing buttons or twiddling joysticks, but playing by swinging the Wii remote as if it were a tennis racket or a Golf club or a bowling ball u are about to bowl. I already have some symptoms of RSI. My plan is to start training to play with my left hand, so that even if my right hand is down due to RSI injury, I don't have to give up playing Wii.


3. Free Rice game

Help end world hunger

I discovered this gem while stumbling on an uneventful afternoon at work. I have been strung-out ever since. It gives me two fixes - fix for my better-English fetish and a fix for my desire to go something good. The way it works is simple - you play the word game and every word you get right, someone somewhere will get 20 grains of rice in their lunch through the UN World Food Program.

I usually play enough to win up to 2000 grains every day. That's 100 words - takes around 10 minutes to play 100 words if you have WordWeb (I might be cheating, but it’s for a good cause!) and broadband connection.

When I play this game, I've this image in my mind of a small girl waiting in the middle of a parched field egging me on to play well so that she can have a good meal that day. I call her Mitra. Every single day I miss out playing this game, I feel guilty that Mitra had to go without food because of me.

Try them out and get a little high in life.


Off topic
Ppppst, heard that Britons would rather have healthy bouncy donkeys in their country than help eradicate violence and abuse against women. Who would have thought that one day, donkeys would triumph over mankind! A glimpse into the future - an ant conservatory and a mosquito park that rake in billions of $/£ a year might not be too far away.


17 comments:

Rinchen said...

HA! Mine goes something like this - "Arent you going to cook dinner tonight? How much more are you going to play!?!"

:D :D :D

(I'm going to check out these games. Sounds like fun)

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Classic role reversal, eh? :)

See you at Brain Game. You have been warned missy. Thee will be no mercy!

:D

Macadamia The Nut said...

I'm hooked on to the Wii dancing. Its a great workout and awesome fun at the same time :D

~==[[[ Abhi ]]]==~ said...

I'm goin green with envy hearing tht u've a Wii. Nice games. Will check th nonexpensive one's asap.

Girl With Big Eyes said...

MTN,
Thanks for the tip! Hadn't heard about Wii dance till now.
I can see Wii dancing being added to my shopping basket in the near future.

I try not to be too materialistic. But it's hard when there are temptations like this.

Abhi,
Come on, you deserve it! Get yourself one!

Me said...

I play free rice once in a while...should make it a habit playing before lunch everyday...

rakuboy said...

hey thanx fr the links..
am hooked on to FreeRice...
and on a totally diff note, belated Vishu wishes..

Macadamia The Nut said...

Lol! Tell me about it! On day 9 God created malls and on day 10 he put me right next to them. Sigh

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Way to go Me :)

You are welcome Rakuboy. Vishu wishes to you :)

And I was right next to you MCN :)

AK said...

See that you have been making some progress on the brain game.. time to start playing again I suppose, especially now that you have sounded the clarion! :)

Have started the Rice game! wonder how this works though.

Wii.. I saw some kid who was addicted to Wii boxing once.. was crazy! I thought the interface looked underdeveloped or primitive, though! Maybe things have changed hence..

Rinchen said...

Piri,

Bring it on (hand gesture, matrix style)

:D

(This is the second time I'm gearing up for a fight-to-death contest online)

Girl With Big Eyes said...

AK,
Yup, it's a Capricon's word. It might see a while, but soon you'll see me at the top.

Rice game works through Ad revenues, just like everything else on the internet!

Wii boxing is so stressful. You actually feel hurt at the end of a game!

Rinch,
Am waiting in the ring with my boxing gloves on :)

Viajero said...

'Triumph' has got me hooked :-| and created 2 multis just to launch a mass raid on others ;)

Girl With Big Eyes said...

That's plain cheating Viajero!

It's like cloning yourself couple of times to help you at the goalpost of a football game!

Viajero said...

Losing interest with time, I am the one getting raided :-|

bluesky said...

Another great game and charity site is AIDtoCHILDREN.com. It donates money to children in need through World Vision.

Check it out at http://www.aidtochildren.com

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Thank for the link Bluesky. It's a similar game, but easier words I guess.